Friday, May 14, 2010

It's a Lavender World


I've written about the lilacs in Starobilsk, now blooming in profusion. I've mentioned purple tulips, especially those around the government buildings in the Center. But now come the Irises. They are everywhere, in as stunning profusion as the lilacs. One day they were buds, the next they had fully bloomed in all their glory.

We've had mostly sunny days lately, with some late afternoon showers, all good for the irises, and for growing gardens. Luba's is flourishing. And so are the flowers all around town. I'm so enamored that no matter where I go, I exclaim my joy. I'm known as the Amerikanka who is always happy, and for sure flowers do that for me. "You're bright purple and we're gray," Natalia said somberly the other day. "You might be gray on the inside," I responded, as we walked past a beautiful garden full or purple iris, "but you are bright as a Ukrainian iris to me.” We banter; we laugh.

Last week, I was at Asya and Sasha's admiring their garden, natural and wild. I went home with a large bouquet of lilacs, tulips and, yes, lily of the valley. Ah, the wonderful fragrance! The flowers adorn Luba's house, including my bedroom. I’m not sure she is noticing them as much during these days of sorrow, but I think she likes having flowers around as much as I do.

On the way home from 9 May with Natasha (before I discovered I had lost my camera), she wanted me to stop at her babuska’s house. I wasn't sure why, but you know I never say no to such invitations. My willingness to follow along has taken me to some fantastic places and memorable experiences. It was so this time, too. Natasha went about the garden picking lilacs and tulips and daffodils, and then offered them to me as a gift. Such generosity of spirit! Such shared joy in the beauty of spring! The flowers filled my bike basket to overflowing, and elicited smiles as I peddled home. I
t's a lavender world!

No comments:

Post a Comment