Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How to Give and Receive


As part of our efforts to share American traditions, I use this photo of my great grandson Philip, the cutest child ever, dressed up as SUPERMAN, going door to door with his mom on Halloween night in Toledo, Ohio. Gran-E went along too, and took this photo. I call this a "how -to" photo: how-to go trick or treating. Dress up in a great costume, I explain, put on a mask if you like, like the ones we made in English Club, and be sure to have a plastic pumpkin, or a nice bag. I'm holding up the photo to illustrate. I tell them some people even use a pillow case. Yes, that's right, a pillow case. Very big, to give the message that the person wants lots of candy. Not just a few pieces of candy, many pieces. The latter, I say, is an example of American greed. I don't have photos of that, and I don't know people like that, I assure them. This lesson in cross-cultural understanding, though, has a mostly positive spin: Thanks, America, for showing us how to give and to receive, and for promoting the fun side of American traditions.



Sure, Fran, any excuse to show us Philip!

No comments:

Post a Comment