Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back from Egypt: Sledding down Panfelova


Nothing like snow, frost and ice to bring you back to reality! After sunny and warm Egypt, wintry Ukraine has almost covered those golden images of ancient pyramids and temples in a dusty white.

I called Luba as soon as I got back from Egypt to let her know I was in Starobelsk. She was glad and invited me for lunch on Sunday. It’s a big holiday weekend in Ukraine. It was a clear day, and the trees and bushes, roofs and housetops, sidewalks and roads were covered in snow. Very pretty. A mixture of snow and sand over the ice made walking okay (in my trusty yaktraks), as I strolled up Lenina, through the University, and over to Panfelova. What a pleasure. I thought to myself that I would miss this walk, and that Ukraine had taught me to enjoy winter again.

I had lots of gifts for Luba, which she loved and added to the desk in my former room with other gifts and photos I have given her or made for her. It almost looks like a little shrine. It touched me deeply, and I secretly wiped away a tear while Luba fussed with the gifts.

Ira, Luba’s stalwart friend and wife of her boss Nickolai, was there, and Nikita, Luba’s 13-year-old grandson. That’s the sad part of the story of Luba’s son Sergei, leaving behind his son who longs to be with his father. It pains Luba too, the pain etched in her face. Whatever the details, it seems, Ira whispered to me, that Sergei will be in jail for a long time. A tragedy for everyone.

And yet this lunch with Luba, like so many others, was full of fun and laughter. Luba is a great cook and she filled me up with her borsch, which she knows I love. We toasted to a new year, to a short winter and early spring, to good health and glad tidings. Для вас. Для нас. для хорошего здоровья и удачи.

When it was time to go, Luba, Ira and Nikita all put on their coats to accompany me up Panfelova, so I thought. Luba, however, had something else in mind. She grabbed her trusty duster, went to the shed, and came out with a sled, and a big smile on her face. ‘We’re going sledding,” she announced, and led the charge. So like Luba. I demurred but Luba would have none of it. We took turns on the sled, pulling the sled, pushing the sled, and generally having the time of our lives. We laughed and laughed, fell, got up, tried again, laughed some more. Luba was at her best, full of a zest for life. A moment of forgetfulness and joy. I was happy to see her happy. Sledding on Panfelova: it was so good for Luba, good for all of us, good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment