Saturday, March 19, 2011

Taking in the "Now," Again

Photos: A Slavsky Road (Carpathian mountains, Ukraine); an Iris in Starobelsk.

The One for Whom You Create
Poets, lose your pens,
Painters, toss your brushes
in the sea,
Musicians, give your instruments
away,
then go for a long walk.

When you're done,
keep walking,
notice the beauty all around you.
Don't try to remember
a single thing,
breathe.

This holy moment is your poetry,
your art, your song.
Do not concern yourself with giving it form.


From Mitch Ditkoff’s Blog, Heart of the Matter

This is a nice poem, found by accident on a blog called Heart of the Matter. Sounds like Deepak Chopra or Eckhart Tolle. As usual I struggle with the concept. I have some qualms about the message of this poem. I think this is taking the “NOW” to the extreme. Sure we breathe and take in the moment. We go for long walks and notice the beauty around us. We are grateful for the moment.

But do we want to breathe in a world without poetry, music, art? I have experienced many “a holy moment” in reading the poetry of Mary Oliver, listening to Bach or the Beatles, admiring the paintings of Frieda Kahlo, Georgia O’Keefe, Picasso, the sculpture of David Smith. I, for one, am glad that these artists and every artist on earth in all times and places have concerned themselves “with giving it form.”

Okay, I might be off base here. I’m open to suggestions. I welcome your insights. But now I will take a long walk, from Georgetown to the National Cathedral, and breath in the moment.

2 comments:

  1. i'm totally with you, fran. i'm all for long walks and noticing the birds n whatnot, of course. (who isn't?) but truly my most present moments are those spent swept up in the zone of creating art. it isn't one or the other, they both inform each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Sami so great to hear from a spiritual twin. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete